Any mama-to-be has a million questions running through her head, from the practical (what’s the best pram to buy?) to the emotional (am I ready for this?). As a twin mama-to-be, those questions almost double! A very good friend of mine from NY had twin girls two months before me and I found it very helpful bouncing questions and concerns off her, during our pregnancies and once the babes were born. Even on separate continents, it helps to know some one is going through the same thing as you.
My twin babes are now seven months so I thought I would share some twin tips of my own that have helped us in these first few months.
1. Get your twins into the same rhythm and routine. My babes go to sleep at the same time and I wake one up if the other awakes from a nap. This gives some order to our lives – we can plan around the babies’ schedule and maintain a calm environment at home.
2. Make your life as convenient as possible in ways that are easy. Take advantage of online shopping. Get a pram that is easy to handle and a car big enough to fit the pram. I got a midwife to come to our apartment for the first few months to do the weighing and vaccinations. Stock up on frozen meals before the babies arrive.
3. If you are planning on breastfeeding, book an appointment for a lactation consultant to come to the hospital the day your babies are born. I was adamant about breastfeeding my twins and having an expert on hand right from the word go has meant that my babies have not had a drop of formula or a bottle and I am still breastfeeding them seven months on.
4. Dress your twins the same. Not only is that half the fun* of twins, it eliminates an additional decision in your day. And it looks neater. (*I was dressed the same as my two sisters for my entire childhood so perhaps this has influenced me slightly!)
5. As a fellow twin parent said to me, bask in the glory of knowing that every parent of a single baby will wonder how in the world you survive from day to day.
PS .Welcome to a very special club. Over the next couple years, nothing will be as hard as this, nor as rewarding.
Do you have any twin tips you can share? Or twin questions? Leave us a comment – we would love to hear from you.