When I was pregnant I felt fantastic – I was fit (thanks Yoga!), it was summer so I wore tight fitting dresses to show off my ever expanding tummy and pretty much all my time was my own – read: manicures, pedicures etc etc were a frequent occurrence. Fast forward to post-birth and suddenly I didn’t feel that fantastic. No, my pre-preggy clothes didn’t look that great anymore (thanks breastfeeding, big boobs), my tummy is not as flat as it once was, I’m over tired, non manicured and certainly not wearing super tight dresses. So what can one do to feel beautiful again?
Here are 6 things that helped me:
1. Get out of the house and walk! I took Francie Sugar for her first walk when she was 2 weeks and we have walked every single day since then, at least once. It’s amazing what the fresh air does, a change of scenery is great too and it felt fantastic to move again. I recommend investing in a carrier for you babe so walking is easy and allows for extra cuddle time.
2. The key to amazing hair when you feel like you barely have time to shower: dry hair shampoo. Trust me, it’s a life saver. My favourite is the Evo (Water Killer Dry Shampoo) but the Batiste one (available at Clicks) is great too.
3. Put your face on. Let’s face it mamas make up works wonders. The one thing that makes me feel the most fantastic are eyelash extensions, Flutter Eyelashes are my go to girls for my eyelashes. Also, do notedness estimate the value of gloss or lipstick.
4. Underwear is important. No, you won’t be wearing your pretty lace bras and panties. Bigger boobs and breast pads are a reality for any new mum but my advice is buy a couple really great feeding bras. Don’t fall for those gigantic ones that may look comfy but are impossible to hide unless you are wearing a polar neck. My favourite is the Yummy Mummy Bamboo Nursing bra, it’s amazing.
5. Go on a health kick. Breastfeeding made me completely focus on healthy food – fruit, vegetables and every morning I drink hot water with lemon – not only are lemons full of vitamin C but lemon water helps wash out any toxins in your body.
6. Go shopping! Hit the shops for new ‘mum’ outfits. Don’t wear your maternity wear and don’t worry if your property clothes don’t look or feel as great as they used to. Embrace a new style of comfy yet, stylish clothes, some flats that are easy to walk in but make you feel great. My shop of choice? Country Road – I pair great jeans with new jerseys and sneakers for a lux casual look.