The December holidays are upon us! And that means packing bags for the whole family. While I am by no means a minimalist packer (that went out the window with the arrival of my twins), I try to keep anything beyond clothing to a minimum. However, no matter the destination, these are 10 items you’ll find in my suitcase at this time of year:
- Dermikelp Moisturising Lotion: What I love about this product is that it’s a cure all for the whole family. I don’t need to pack a hundred different creams for different situations – this will work as a moisturiser, a soothing lotion on any skin irritation, a cooling lotion after a day on the beach, and even treat those pesky itchy bites. Dermikelp products are completely natural so I’m comfortable using it on my girls’ skin. They’re made from kelp extract, and are free from all the nasties (cortisone, parabens, and chemicals). Available from Dischem, and selected Pick ‘n Pay, Clicks and independent pharmacies.
- A giant sun hat: I am vigilant about sun protection for me and my babes, and am usually covered up at the beach (hence I arrive back from holiday as pale as ever!).
- Mangos: My absolute favourite fruit, and one that is synonymous with December holidays for me. I make sure a box finds its way into the cooler bag of food, and I stock up from padstals once my stash has been devoured.
- Artisan chocolate: To maintain balance (or just to feed my addiction) I don’t go anywhere without some good chocolate.
- Headphones: Travelling (and nap time!) is the perfect chance to catch up on all those podcasts I’ve been wanting to listen to. I am currently listening to Undisclosed, and Dirty John is next up on my playlist.
- Glass water bottle: I actually don’t leave my house without my water bottle. I am trying to reduce my use of plastic in any way I can, and this is such an easy way to do so. Also, it reminds to stay hydrated through the day.
- Books: One of my best things about being on holiday is all the reading I get to do as I am not distracted by every day life, chores, and to-do lists. You’ll find the whole family with noses buried into books when we’re on holiday. I am currently reading the obligatory The President’s Keepers with my jaw dropping open.
- Camera: I seldom go anywhere without my camera, and holiday is no exception!
- Bling: I don’t take my usual jewellery with me on holiday as I don’t want to be worrying about losing it on the beach. But I like to take one or two fun pieces to add to an outfit.
- Planner and a pen: A new year means a new diary, and I love that feeling of a whole year’s worth of blank pages. It is such a January ritual to fill in my new yearly planner,
PS. Don’t forget to enter our Dermikelp family hamper giveaway valued at R1300 and includes one of each Dermikelp products. Click here for all the details.